The Montezuma-Cortez School District RE-1 Board of Education on Thursday appointed Andrew Pearson, Montezuma-Cortez Middle School principal, as interim superintendent on Thursday as it embarks on a search for a candidate to fill the role permanently.
The board also voted to hire a consulting firm to assist with the upcoming search for a new superintendent.
Both actions passed 6-1 during the special meeting.
Much of the board’s discussion centered around the need for immediate leadership at the start of the school year.
Pearson and Montezuma-Cortez High School Principal Jennifer Boniface were the two school district staff members who submitted resumes and expressed a willingness to step into the position.
Pearson has worked in the Montezuma-Cortez School District for nine years, according to his LinkedIn profile, and has served as principal at the middle school for six of those years. He also worked as a teacher and interim principal in the Mancos School District.
Pearson graduated from Wayland Baptist University in 2004. He went on to get his Master’s of Art in elementary education and teaching from Liberty University, graduating in 2012. From 2016-17, he took part in an administrative licensure program where he was certified in leadership endorsement, education leadership and administration.
In his resignation letter, Ramirez stated his reason for retirement was to spend more time with his family, specifically his children and grandchildren.
“Throughout my 47 years in education, my family has always been incredibly supportive of the time, commitment and sacrifices required to serve students, staff, families and communities,” Ramirez said in the letter. “Now, I believe it is time for me to give back to them by being more attentive and present for my children and grandchildren and to enjoy this next chapter of my life with them.”
He said the school district has worked to establish greater coherence and alignment in finance, facilities, transportation, child nutrition, school safety and academics during his tenure.
Though the two events have not been officially connected, Ramirez’s resignation follows the board’s rejection of a controversial English language arts curriculum called Bluebonnet that drew scrutiny for numerous errors, a heavy reliance on Texas history and biblical references.
At a special meeting last week, Board President Joshua Shumway and other members of the board expressed concern about the curriculum and questioned why Ramirez had signed an agreement with Houston Independent School District in June that included the BlueBonnet curriculum.
Bluebonnet was reportedly not part of the original agreement the board approved in May. The board said at the special meeting last week they would discuss potential “integrity issues” in the superintendent’s office at a later meeting.
On Thursday, the school board decided to utilize a consulting firm to assist in finding a new permanent superintendent, and which firm to hire will be discussed at a future meeting.
Reader Comments